The Gay Straight Alliance, along with the GLBT Center, is one of the major centers of the GLBT Community here at URI.
While the GLBT Center located in Adams Hall and provides regular weekly programs that are targeted at support and education. the Gay Straight Alliance works for positive change through Activism and Awareness.
As a completely renovated group, our recent history under the current leadership has brought us through Spring Semester with our successful Day of Silence (the first in recent history), our Rally for Equality, and our many awards such as the Rhody and the Peacemaker Award.
This is the first Fall semester as a new group and we are still going to do large events. With things such as World AIDS Day, the Trans Vigil of Remembrance, National Coming Out Day, and Ally Week to name a few major ones. But we are still looking for more fund raising and awareness activities.
We are also looking to work together with other groups on campus to fulfill our mission. One such thing is the Statewide Bipartisan Political Bootcamp being held for the first time on the URI Campus. This event will help us gain publicity and strengthen the skills of our members especially in the wake of the Marriage Equality compromise. The Bootcamp will provide the tools and resources to train our members to successfully achieve political influence and help us fulfill our mission of promoting equality through meaningful activism as well as giving us a venue for recruiting strong like-minded individuals.
On the Agenda for next week:
- Student Organizations Fair - Wednesday September 21st
- The International Day of Peace - we are co-sponsoring with the Center for Peace and Nonviolence
- The Bipartisan Political Bootcamp - Co-Sponsoring with the URI College Democrats and Republicans to include a GLBT Workshop and Diversity Panel
- Hours for our new Memorial Union Office - Time slots for office hours. Discuss whether or not we will open the office for general members.
- Ratify our new Constitution - Sign and approve our new mission statement for the Student Senate re-recognition process
- Which events will we focus on this semester and how we will achieve our goals.
- Changing meeting times to match member's schedules.